Friday, February 11, 2005

I see Prince Charles is getting Married again

I remember the first time I saw a picture of Diana Spencer with those big fluttering eyelashes, the head slightly turned down, neck coyly arched, the simpering smile and when I looked deep enough I could see a crazy little man dancing in her head. Second time around I'd say he has learned his lesson. I think he and Camilla Parker Bowles are very deeply in love and for the right reasons, they like and respect one another and look at what they have put up with. Intense criticism, scrutiny, public ridicule and hatred by Diana fans, infact Camilla was even spit on at an event, but she smiled and kept her dignity, now thats a woman. And now that they have announced they are being married and when Charles ascends the throne could rightfully inhereit the title queen, she said no, I think I'll just stay in the background and be a support.

Prince Charles I thought when I first saw Diana, you poor stupid bugger you are marrying a 100% certifiable whacko trophy wife. Now a trophy wife whacko can be managed, all he had to do was keep your distance but spend learn to spend time with her in the presence of other people, particularly strangers. whackiness goes underground in the presence of strangers. And I know exactly what did them in, Now if I could see that from 5000 miles away and tell from just a glance at a picture, whats wrong with the antennae of the people in England. Poor Charles, he must have been stunned when his dick dried off and he looked around and saw what he had.

The whole thing fell apart because she had no respect for the tradition of the British Monarchy. She could have been, and in a way was the unofficial perfect spokesperson for the "me" generation. I know there is lots of opposition to the continuation of the Queen etc as the figurehead of the British gov't but I think any great nation needs symbols, they remind us where we have been. In todays society everyone wants to think that the world began the day they were born and Diana was leading the parade. She never caught on that being a royal meant representing a thousand years of the history of the British people, and that can be a damn demanding, self sacrificing tough job. You see she never caught on that the position of privilege came with a trade off. For every hour that you spent at Royal Ascot or at a Royal performance, having a wonderful time at a ball wearing the latest Christian Dior gown, a million dollar necklace and overhearing people gasping about how gorgeous she was you were expected to spend an hour in the pits with the unclean.

Much of what the royal family does has no glamour attached to it and she passively bucked against that. During the first decade they were together you could tell that her heart just was'nt into that kind of servitude. "Come on Charles" lets stay home and let the courtiers hang around" "Now Diana you know we have to go and visit the sick miners hospital and give a little encouragement to the ones dying form black lung, and then we have to attend a meeting to hand out some awards to a class of fromer druggies who completed their GED's, you know build them up, and all that stuff." " But Charles, I don't waaaaannnnaaaa go, you know they're gonna cough some of that black stuff and it might get on my dress. Think back to photos etc through this period and the passive aggressive, whiney bitch shit is all there.

But the world sopped up and remembers her from the crap dished out after she got herself a publicist etc and set about marketing Diana. Not that she had any brains herself, but she surrounded herself with some who were able to image her in a damaging way to the monarchy and presenting her as the little lost princess. Hell of a marketing con, the boys at Procter and Gamble were impressed, I am sure. This crew could have convinced lung cancer patients that smoking was not all that bad. That set up photo at the Taj Mahal with her on the bench alone ( big fluttering eyelashes, the head slightly turned down, neck coyly arched, the sad smile) made me want to retch.

The thing that got me was that when she started identifying herself with charities and causes after Charles had given up on her, it was only as part of her public relations image building campaign. She was human so I am sure she did have empathy, but it somehow it doesn't carry the same weight with me when its just means to an end, I guess you can argue that charitable work is always good no matter what the motive is and I won't put up any resistance, but I still think what she did had a gut felt, basic immorality about it.

In the end she got what she wanted, she had fucked her way to fame twice. Prestige, wealth, notoriety, sympathy and for the last years of her life big time, good time, party person

She pulled the big bamboozala off and grabbed the crown, but I don't think she conned old Prince Phillip, I think he was onto her right from day one. I'm not a royal watcher but it was well known there was a cool relationship between them right from the start.

I always liked Prince Phillip because his public face showed me a man who was so confident in himself that he could walk 3 paces behind and it didn't intimidate him a bit. I've always admired people who do their duty and don't cause a flap. And its hard to fool a man who has made and survived these statements; When touring China he was overheard by a reporter saying to one of his aids, "be careful you don't eat to much rice while we are here or you will get slitty eyes" and when commenting on a water shortage in Great Britain made the following observation, "no wonder we have no water, we spend a pint and flush away a gallon.". You have to like a guy like that.

Rest in peace Diana, I feel sorry for you because you missed out on so much.

1 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Blogger binderpilot said...

What a great commentary, once again you got it right

 

Post a Comment

<< Home