Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Photo Radar and other Annoyances

So city council in Charlottwtown voted to try and get the Provincial Government to approve the use of photo radar to catch speeders.

Sometimes I think I must be living on another planet when I read this nonsense. Like virtually every other Islander I am only vaguely aware there is such a thing as a speed limit. I always drive at a safe speed , if there is no traffic on the road I speed up a bit and if weather or heavy traffic is a factor I slow down. It is so rare that I see someone driving dangerouslyI feel its almost non existant. And if someone wants to drive like a nut they are usually paying attention to where the police are. After 40 years of driving I got a speeding ticket about a month ago for doing about 105 KPH on the Trans Canada when there was no traffic going my way, on a clear Sunday morning on our way to church in our van, from a mountie who was so close to a car coming the other way I couldn't see him. So I got my chance to be a statistic and some snot nosed cop had me waiting on the side of the road with my wife, daughter and 3 of my grand children for over 20 minutes while he ran every check available to make sure he didn't have a terrorist or escaped felon on his hands. I was annoyed over the ticket but it was his complete disregard for the fact we were late for church that bugged me more. Don't they give some profiling lessons in cop school, you wouldn't think 2 older people and 3 children under 9 with their mother fit anybodys notion of a dangerous crew.

Will my driving habits change, no, am I a danger on the road , no. Its political correctness at its worst, believe or not all speed cameras in a place like this will do is create an animosity towards the police and I am guessing they would cause more traffic accidents that it would prevent. It wouldn't take long until everyone would know the location of every speed camera and would be extra slow when going past them. But once out of sight would speed up excessively to make up for the lost time, creating a dangerous situation Should you speed , of course not but this isn't the answer. Want to spend some money productively. Put a few more drug detectives on duty and solve more of the break and enter, assault and theft that takes place daily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home