Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Things Are Simpler Than You Think

I remember about 27 years ago when by chance I came across one of the principles of marketing that gets overlooked by the experts. They are all aware of it but because its pretty mundane I think it gets shuffled aside because its to simple, but the reality is that it works. It made quite a difference in my business and personal life and when I periodically give my head a shake, just like cream it rises back to the top. Everyone has heard about word association to help you remember things, well here's how you can remeber this thought just say "Bob Dylan".

And when you think of Bob Dylan connect him to these lyrics that he wrote and immortalized in his song "Positively 4th Street"

I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment
I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
You could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is
To see you

What a lesson in life that is, to realize that what you think and how you perceive things may not be how the rest of the world sees it. And if you are a marketer its a lesson you had better remember if you want to be successful.

But you don't have to be a professional marketer to get a benefit from understanding this. Its one of the most valuable techniques you can use when trying to accomplish anything that is going to involve people. There are certain things that people respond to, attitudes that bring reactions, ideas that have appeal to everyone and its good to have a list of these positives in your arsenal no matter what you are doing, and particularly if you are trying to win people over to your ideas. Knowing that you'd think I would have learned to use those concepts effectively but alas I haven't, I'm like the kid who brings home the report card with rows of "T"'s on it. The legend at the bottom says it all T - Tries and has some success.

And you'de think I would get it through my thick skull. The successes in my life have come when I remember what I am preaching, and the failures when I abandon them, and take firm grasp of the jawbone of an ass which I keep dangling from my belt and begin swinging.

Instead of looking at every situation from your eyes try changing places and you will be amazed how the world looks different and how your interactions with people become so much more productive.

But its so hard to admit I'm not always right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home