Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Labchuk, NDP, Tree Hugger Blues

We are having a plebiscite here on Prince Edward Island on Nov 28 to see if we want to change how we elect our Provincial Government. The idea of proportional representation is being floated around and I will be voting "NO" and encouraging those around me to also give a hefty sound of "Raaaaspberries" to this kookie notion.

At one time I would have been all for it, say about 40 years ago when I was still idealistic and supported all kinds of nonsensical issues. I use to burn me when I supported the NDP for instance and only a handful of MP's would be elected even though the popular vote showed there should have been more. But you know what, looking back there shouldn't have been more sent to Ottawa than were elected the good old fashioned way, first past the post.

The way I analyze it third place parties with fringe ideas play a role the way the current system works. These minor parties are always going to attract the screwball set. And its great there is a place for them to be accommodated, but I really don't want their total agenda forced on me. I was a big NDP supporter years ago and the NDP party of the Sixties and 70's did this country an enormous service by raising issues into the public agenda. But I couldn't support all of their policies because they just didn't fit with my values or make common sense. The problem with them is they go to far and that's why I never want to see narrow focused groups with to much power. The middle of the road parties will evaluate the ideas coming from extreme left, right and single issue groups, mull them over, and when the collective wisdom of millions of Canadians judge these ideas to be correct they are fit into our system of political agendas.

In Wednesdays Guardian newspaper there is a story that outlines exactly what I am trying to get across and I quote ' A coalition of labour, feminist and activist groups stepped forward to declare themselves the "Yes on MMP (Mixed Member Proportional) Coalition. These people just don't get it, I think part of the appeal of working outside the system is to be able to wail at night how everyone is against them and they are "after all special people, with special needs, that no one understands" . I say smarten the fuck up. These people have something that parties with a broad based agenda would love to have working for them, enthusiasm, passion, energy but these birds just don't know how to get past their single issues. They need to take their blinders off and work within the middle of the road groups to move their agendas forward by degrees, that's how you get things done. But the downside is they miss out on being able to feel sorry for themselves and that feeling of righteousness that comes from the bolstering of their wackiness from their closed group of friends. Rational people might ask them to take a broader look at their issues and what the hell fun would that be.

I really hate the idea of having a Government composed of a hundred warring factions, that's no way to run a railroad. And a move to proportional representation would also lead to that most hated political game ever invented and elevated to a fine art in the United States the "rider". Minority Governments end up surviving by participating in the market of the buying and selling of votes. If you want my vote and believe me these birds are so desperate to hang onto their power if it can be spun they'll deal for it. So we get legislation supported that is not palatable pushed through as part of the deal. Just look at the way things are unfolding in Ottawa right now. The NDP are forcing the Liberals to be fiscally irresponsible because if they don't, they won't get their support in critical votes, I call it Government by blackmail.

In the US they are more sophisticated but also more greedy. When you are on a powerful committee crafting important legislation, members will attach a rider that must be included in order to get their support. Usually these riders are very self serving for the riding the politician represents and have nothing to do with the bill being considered. If the bill is to establish rules for granting school lunches to underprivileged kids, someone on the committee will attach a "rider" that might say " Bunionville has to get a $20,000.000.00 economic development grant". Because the sections of the bill are all approved at once, the game is "I won't support it getting out of committee unless you give me this". Add a few more riders and you get pork barreling at its worst or best depending on your point of view.

But then again maybe I could make this work for me, you see I am a member of a group that got pissed on by Government last year. I'm a golfer and am not happy that Government put a Tax on my membershp and on green fees paid, there is about 10,000 others just like me and we could form a bloc of angry litte slicing, hooking bastards that could recognize this as a chance for a mulligan. We could register as a party and have the golfers coalition vote us in as second choice, that could give us a seat or two and we could sell our vote to get have the Tax removed. But what a bitch this could turn out to be, someone would have to sit in the Legislature and listen to this cranky bunch day after day to collect their $45,000.00 which is tough when you have no political agenda beyond dropping the 10% tax on golf.

But it could be interesting though, maybe Sharon Labchuk would make it and if I was the poor bugger who had to give up my spring and fall golf I could be there when she trades in her potatoe field protest to sit buck naked on the desk next to me. That I think I could take, in small doses, but if Leo Broderick makes it I'm afraid I could only last through one of his high pitched 500 word a minute whine sessions before an assault an battery would take place. I could become the Todd Bertuzzi of the PEI legislature and Leo could be my Stevie Moore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home