Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Importance of a Vote

I had an interesting experience about democracy to day. I was talking with a business man friend who was very sour that the Liberals had lost the election. It kind of surprised me because this is a conservative thinking person who constantly grumbles about hye gives the government to much money all the time.

So I said, I'm surprised you would feel like that because it seems to me that the issues brought forward by the Conservatives are much closer to what you believe in. I would have thought you would probably have supported them.

"I'd never vote for a conservative" he said, "never have and never will!!!!

Now I am naive enough to think that the wonderful thing about democracy is that you get to listen to what the issues of the day are, analyze them and try to make a decision about which party has the best platform to serve the nation and yourself the best given the realities of the day. Apparently I was wrong, its OK to not pay any attention to what those issues are and just vote the same way no matter what. No wonder we have such a fucked up country in many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home